Academic Fresh Start
Academic Fresh Start allows students whose academic record would otherwise prevent them from enrolling to resume their studies at Fayetteville State University after a period of non-enrollment without the burden of their prior grade point average. Students suspended more than two times from the university can only return under Academic Fresh Start. Under Academic Fresh Start:
- All course work completed at FSU prior to the semester of re-admission will be excluded from the GPA calculation.
- All previous courses in which the student earned a final grade of C or higher will be used to fulfill degree requirements. Such courses will be designated “XG” in the academic transcript.
- Previous courses in which the student earned a D or lower will not be used to fulfill degree requirements and will not count as earned hours. Such courses will be designated “XC” in the academic transcript.
- All course work will remain on the transcript with the following notation: "Academic Fresh Start."
- All attempted hours will remain on a student’s record, and, hence, hours covered by Academic Fresh Start will be used in determining possible tuition surcharges and financial aid eligibility.
To be eligible for Academic Fresh Start, students must meet admissions criteria at Fayetteville State University. Students must demonstrate the potential for degree completion in one of the following ways:
- They must have a period of non-enrollment for at least four consecutive semesters and provide evidence in their request that the conditions that led to poor academic performance have been corrected; OR
- They must have a record of academic performance at another institution subsequent to their departure from FSU that demonstrates the potential for academic success at FSU.
A record of academic performance may be demonstrated by earning an Associate's degree, completing an academic certificate program, or earning at least 15 semester hours with a C or better. The following provisions will apply for students readmitted under this program:
- A student will be granted Academic Fresh Start only one time.
- Students readmitted under the Academic Fresh Start program will be required to enroll in a Student Success Program approved by the the student's College or School Academic Advising Office to help them achieve success while re-enrolled.
- Academic Fresh Start students will be eligible for financial aid in the first semester of re-enrollment only if their request is based on a record of academic performance at another institution subsequent to their departure from FSU. If a student does not have a record of academic performance from another institution, he/she will be responsible for all tuition and fees the first semester of reinstatement and must enroll as a full-time student. Academic Fresh Start students will be eligible for financial aid if they meet satisfactory academic progress; to do this, they must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and a progression rate of 67% in hours attempted after their reinstatement with less than 180 attempted hours.
Requests for Academic Fresh Start must be submitted using the Letter of Appeal. The request must specify (1) the period of initial enrollment at Fayetteville State University, (2) the period of nonenrollment, (3) the conditions that led to the academic difficulty during the initial period of enrollment at Fayetteville State University, (4) the actions the student has taken to improve these conditions and circumstances, and (5) any record of academic performance at another institution.
Academic Fresh Start will be applied to the student’s record at the end of the semester of his/her return after final grades have been posted.