Admission to Candidacy for the Master's Degree
Admission to Fayetteville State University in a degree program does not carry with it admission to candidacy for the graduate degree. Students should apply for admission to candidacy once they have completed at least twelve (12) credit hours but no more than eighteen (18) credit hours of study at Fayetteville State University. Approval of degree candidacy by the dean of school or college certifies that the student’s academic performance has been reviewed and that permission to pursue the program of study to completion has been granted. To be admitted to candidacy for a graduate degree, the student must have:
- Been admitted to a degree program;
- Completed at least twelve (12) credit hours (600 level courses in the MBA program) but not more than eighteen (18) credit hours of graduate study at Fayetteville State University, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of application for admission to candidacy;
- An advisor assigned by the departmental or area;
- An approved program of study; and
- Satisfied all other conditions affecting admission.
Failure to meet the requirements will result in denial of admission to degree candidacy and administrative withdrawal from the stated degree program. The following is the procedure for requesting admission to degree candidacy:
- After completing twelve (12) semester credit hours of graduate courses at Fayetteville State University, the student submits to the graduate coordinator an application for admission to degree candidacy. The application form must be signed by the student’s graduate advisor and department chair/program director. The department chair submits the signed application for candidacy form to the dean of college or school.
- The dean of school or college processes the application and notifies the student, the department chair, and the graduate coordinator of the action taken.
- Copies of the letter are sent to the student, advisor, department chair, and graduate coordinator/director.
Note: Students who have completed eighteen (18) credit hours and have not applied for admission to candidacy will not be permitted to enroll in additional courses.